Best Protein Powder for Weight Loss and Meal Replacement
Protein powder is not designed to replace a meal. They function as a supplement to provide a generous amount of quality protein for our body. It contains little or no carbohydrates, fat and other nutrients. Essentially, protein powder provides a quick snack of high quality protein without fat and carbohydrates.
On the other hand, meal replacement such as bars, soups, pudding and other snacks are designed to replace one or two of our daily meals. It is formulated for weight loss and weight maintenance. It can give us a wide range of essential nutrients in a low calorie meal substitute, and it is either rich in proteins or low in carbohydrates.
A. Protein Powder Shakes
Protein shakes are drinks made by mixing protein powder with water and sometimes other ingredients are added in it. We can buy protein powder and mix it by ourselves but we can also get different brands. The most effective time to consume a protein shake is when we have breakfast, after doing exercises, before your workout and before going to bed. Some of the most popular types of protein powder on the market are;
- whey protein. It is derived in the process of cheese-making from milk. It is fast-absorbing and high in all the essential amino acids and branched-chain amino acids
- casein protein. It provides a sustained slow release of amino acids into the blood stream over several hours. The main protein is found in milk and it is slow absorbing. This can be ideal to take before we go to bed.
- soy protein. This protein provides all amino acids essential for human nutrition. It is a plant-based source of protein making it suitable for vegetarians. Soy protein tends to be more popular with women.
B. Meal Replacements
These are typically low in calories – around 300 or less. They also have several characteristics;
– Protein. Increasing our metabolism and maintaining our muscles. It is also important for making us feel fuller for longer.
– Low or No Sugar. All good meal replacement shakes are very low sugar or even free from it.
– Contain fiber. A good one should contain around five grams of fiber per servings.
– Vitamins and minerals. They don’t contain any calories but are essential for our health.
– Healthy fats. Many people are scared of fats but it is really important for our health. It should contain some healthy fats such as olive oil, coconut oil or fish oil.
There are different types of meal replacements to suit our goals;
- High protein meal replacement shakes, such as Ultramet Champion Nutrition, Met-RX Meal Replacement.
- Low-Calorie meal replacement shakes, such as eas myoplex lite and Ultramet lite.
- Low-Calorie meal replacement shakes for women, such as Labrada Lean Body for Her.
Low-Carbohydrate meal replacement shakes, such as Labrada Carb Watchers Lean Body and Myoplex Carb Control Read-to-Drink.